Sunday, September 28, 2014

{food finds} Izakaya Den, Ermita, Manila

No comments:
 
36 weeks into my pregnancy, my uber sweet husband decided to surprise me with an overnight stay at Pan Pacific Manila. After being diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I had to follow an intense diet where I planned, cooked and measured everything I ate. Those were stressful times and we were also anxious about what lay ahead for us as new parents. So Mike figured I deserved a relaxing staycation at a swanky hotel.

After checking in, we walked around the block looking for a new place to try out for lunch. We chanced upon a Japanese resto right in front of Robinson's Place Manila called Izakaya Den.

It was not a fancy restaurant. In fact, the place looked a bit worn, but had all the trimmings of Japanese eateries. It was clean and homey, and the ambiance undeniably Japanese.


It's even got a Japanese bike parked in front. Looks authentic Japanese to me!

You can also eat sitting on the floor









As for their menu, it was pretty extensive. They offered all the usual Japanese fare, and for a reasonable price too. While choosing what to order, we were given complimentary miso soup. Mike was on a quest for good ramen, so he ordered Izakaya Den's roast pork ramen. I was still on a restricted diet, so I had my usual Katsudon.


Mike's Roast Pork Ramen

My Katsudon
When they served the food, I was skeptical. It looked very plain. But when I finally took a bite, I was stunned. It was really good! The Katsudon was incredibly flavorful and had just the right balance. Mike also enjoyed his Roast Pork Ramen. Heck, even the miso soup was delicious! The food was like the place--unassuming, but homey.

Unfortunately, when we asked for two glasses of water, one glass still had bits of soap sticking to the side of the glass. The servers apologized profusely though.

All in all, we were very pleased and would definitely want to eat there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff